Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vivian & David

We were in Utah at the beginning of the month for our first missionary reunion with our Pres. & Sister Mann and the Elders. While staying with Matt and Stephanie, I got to surprise Clark one day to eat lunch with him at his school, and then surprise Grant the next day for lunch at his school. They both were so excited and that made it even more fun. With the Sorensen Family we got to watch the great General Conference sessions. David and Steve got to up to SLC for the priesthood session together.
And here is my once-in-a-lifetime experience: The next day, on Monday, before we needed to leave for the airport, I had arranged a lunch date with our Georgia friends the Egan's and the Robbin's at the Little America Hotel. After two hours we were just summing things up when another family came to the back private corner of the restaurant to be seated. I looked up and as I did I saw Ann M. Dibb say "Hello, Vivian", and was I totally shocked to see standing there to her left -her father, the prophet, President Thomas S. Monson,.
She apparently said to him this is David Dibb because I heard Pres. Monson's voice say "Dibb?” By now the six of us are all standing in a line facing him as he cheerfully chats to us as if he were our grandfather. Kathy Egan on the far end said "You called us on our mission to Cape Town". Pres. Monson quipped, "Did you go?" It was then explained that the Robbins had just gotten back from serving in Prague Czechoslovakia and we too had served as missionaries in South Africa.
Then Kathy said, "Thank you for Conference". President Monson reached down and gave her a hug; then shook Bob's hand. So Shauna R. said, "I want to thank you for conference, too ;-)". So she also got a hug, and Mike got a handshake. I was on the last one in line, and I got a hug from our prophet! I have since floated my way through the month feeling as though I were floating in heaven with the angels.
My big responsibility as 1st counselor in the Stake Primary is to have the Stake Activity Day for the 8 to 11 year old girls. We had 140 come and enjoy our five rotating classes and lunch for a Daughter-Mom Activity Day. It was very successful and I am very happy about that.
Mid-month we got to go to Nashville and see Charlie and take Amelia and Nicolas to the funnest pumpkin patch farm for rides, a petting zoo, and lots of play areas. We also got to join the family in the Nissan Family Day and see the "security" places where Greg works. Then we all went to the Family Day Carnival where we enjoyed watching the kids and their freedom to run from one child carnival ride to another and eating all we wanted whenever we wanted.
Our time was running out to get to Orlando, Florida to visit Pres. and Sister Hoglund before they would be released as the Temple President/Matron at the end of the month. He was the Roswell Stake President when I served as the Stake Relief Society President. I was hoping to get to see them for a dinner or maybe a breakfast, if they had time. However, they invited us to stay in their home for the 3 nights we were there. They had Tuesday free and they took us to the Kennedy Space Center with them. On Tuesday, in the temple, we go to do several ordinances for the family file names Rebecca had given us. Afterwards we got a private tour of the temple. It was a great week with lots of laughter and with spiritual experiences.
David's brother, Durell was here for dinner and visited with us on Saturday and Sunday night while he was in Atlanta helping convert the Wachovia banks to be Wells Fargo Banks.
Then during my birthday week there were so many wonderful things happening. Thank you to y'all for the birthday cards and calls. On my birthday I had breakfast at a friend's home with several ward members attending; we had our Book of Mormon FHE that night. And during the week I had lunch with my neighbor, a good visit with my PTC ward friend, and lunch with another PTC friend, and had three good days at home!
October was a wonderful month with an abundance of awesome events and lots of love.

Owen & Sharon had a good idea of sharing Denise’s new address and suggested I do the same for Matt & Stephanie. Here’s the Sorensen’s new home address:
94476 Avanya Dr.
Cedar Hills, UT 84062

No comments: