Sunday, January 10, 2010

Elaine & Dean

The older I get the more I realize simple is always better. This year I decided to not put up every Christmas decoration I have ever collected over the past 36 years. And you know what, it worked out just fine.

I also decided to cut down on the making and baking I usually do and that worked out fine too. We did have the traditional butter pastries on Christmas morning with wassail. We had the traditional Christmas dinner with Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts and a cream de mint parfaits for dessert. We ate until we were well past full.

Carson turned nine on December 11th, he wanted to spend his birthday in Boise. We had so much fun with them. Those three little boys are really growing up. Kaden came for a sleep over and the next day the men and boys went to the Warhawk Air Museum in Nampa and had a good time there. Amy and Justin treated us to dinner at the Pizza Hut and we appreciated that.

Matt and Pyper invited us for a formal Christmas Eve Dinner which was just delightful. We had Kaden, Hallye and Jayda spend the night with us on the 23rd and then took them back home for the dinner. But on the 23rd Santa did make an entrance at our home. We opened the door and there he was. The kids were speechless, but soon they were sitting on Santa’s lap telling him all about their Christmas lists.

Everyone came over for Emily’s birthday on December 29th and we had nachos and played Wii. We are getting pretty good at it. Playing anything is a whole new world to us.

We had the usual ornament party to attend, open houses, a RS dinner, programs and more programs, and on and on. Like I said, I am learning to keep things simple so I can enjoy the holidays.

I am glad we have this time of year to stop and think about the birth, life and atonement of the Savior. We should never get so busy doing secular things we forget to stop and think about sacred things.

We wish you all a Happy New Year.

No comments: