Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vivian & David

As I sat down to write my September-October entry, the thought was running through my mind that if I were at home more, maybe I'd be more on top things. Then as I opened up my diary to the 1st day of September -- this is what I read: "My day to be home all day and work on the basement boxes; which I did. I've gotten a lot done - a lot and a lot cleaned up, and books on the shelves, toys sorted, boxes broken down and put away – just got a lot done."
Well I could stop here because this probably will by my highlighted news of the month, but I'll try to share more... Would saying I got back to the basement later in the month and get items sorted and priced for the subdivision garage sale be worthy news info? (Well maybe not for you, but it certainly was for me!)

Getting things cleaned up helped prepare us for getting a new bed and getting it set up for the grandchildren to come and stay with us and to actually have a bed to sleep in. This time it was Amelia and Nicolas that got to stay with us for a few days while their parents went on a road trip to Florida.
Gregory and Melinda even came a day early, making it possible for Rebecca to get to see them at the end of the week from her being here. With all of Rebecca's talents and gifts to offer, our home was a better place when she left.

The American Mothers organization had asked me to share some of my experiences from working with the ‘teenagers’ in South Africa. The Lord truly blessed me to write and present values that connected with the organizations goals and making it possible for each of them to leave with a Strength of Youth pamphlet.

One of our new neighbors is a former Methodist minister, so we had him and his family over for dinner along with a member of our ward who also used to be a Methodist minister. We will see where it goes from here.

I received correspondence from some our South African friends; I heard good news from two of them. Lungile has finally gone through her needed divorce. Vuywisa, a YSA, wrote thanking me for encouraging her to wait for a worthy male companion. There is a new YSA convert in her branch. They have been dating and he wants to go on a mission! (Rewarding).

My trip during September was to Manchester, New Hampshire for an American Mothers board members meeting; which was a good learning experience for me.
And my/our trip for October was driving to Nashville and being with and staying with Melinda and the children while Gregory was working in Mexico. While in Nashville we took the time and visited with a 'cousin' who lives there. We are both related to William E. Berrett. This is how we are connected. William E; (1736) married Mary Woodman who had a son, Robert (1768) who would have been Grandpa Orson T's great-grandfather. William E. & Mary also had a son named Thomas (1773) who Linda Payne Soderquist came through. (Linda is listed in The Down Berrett Lane Vol. 1 book on pg. 231 and I am listed in the book on pg. 216). She told me we are 5th cousins once removed [for those of you who know what that means]. Do I forgiven for a belated August entry [see below], if I put some Genealogy information in this newsletter?

During this same trip, we also drove to Independence, Missouri and visited with Donna [Dibb] & Terrell who are serving a physical facility management mission there.
A missionary couple from So. Africa, the Uffens, were here in Atlanta for their grand daughter's baptism. We got to spend a day with them; the men golfed and I took her to Helen, a little Germantown in the No. Georgia Mountains.

One day I got to go with my former Peachtree Corner ward friends to the Birmingham, Alabama temple; my first. David and I got to do a session in the Nashville Temple and for our first one in the Minneapolis, MN Temple.
In our new Sharon Springs ward, David is the new ward clerk. Last night the ward had their annual Trunk or Treat Activity and everyone was asked to bring chili and candy. Lo and behold I won the Chili Cook-off. I can't even give you the recipe - except grab a couple of bags of red kidney beans from your former food storage and throw some seasonings and spices in, cook it long and slow... I dunno I just made up the recipe as I went along because I couldn't find my recipe. [I think it’s packed in a box somewhere].

Two other highlights of the month were General Conference and getting to go and do Time Out For Women with Rebecca and Stephanie in Minneapolis.

Ok -- well I just found notes that I had written up for my August entry, so here goes:
David and I flew to Las Vegas, NV to be with the other Dibb siblings to celebrate what would have been Dad Dibb's 100th birthday. Since he loved to go to Mesquite, NV to eat prime rib, this is what we did with a mini Dibb Family reunion. A bonus for us was going out two days early and staying with David and Connie who hosted us so kindly. David even took a day off work of his work so we all could go to the temple together and visit, concluding with their family members in their home for a fun get together. We even timed it right to get to see Laura & Reid’s new home.

Another good timing of the trip was for us to get to BYU Education Week in Provo, UT, the following week. We drove back to Las Vegas and got to stay overnight with Angie before flying back to Atlanta on Saturday.
The next day, after our church services, we drove to Nashville for the blessed opportunity of being with Gregory and family. Greg had been called to serve on the High Council and asked his father to ordain him to the office of a High Priest.
Next he was set apart by his stake president. This was done on August the 23rd, which was Mom & Dad's wedding anniversary date.

No comments: